Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Adventures in Tortilla Making


Well, we go through a LOT of tortillas around these parts and based on the average 20 ingredient list of the store bought tortillas here, they're probably not the best for you. So, I figured it was high time I start making my own. I recently bought a little cast iron griddle which is ideal for frying up these little buggers, so here's how it went down:

My stove seems to run a little on the hot side, so I had to turn the dial to just barely past 4 to have the pan hot enough but not TOO hot.

I mixed the ingredients: (Recipe from Hillbilly Housewife) 4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour, 1.5 tsp salt, 1.5 tsp baking powder, 1/3 cup coconut oil or lard, 1-1.25 cups of water (I used a bit more than that).
Then: Stir the dough with a fork until it makes a cohesive ball. Add more water if it's too dry. Be careful not to add too much though. Kneed dough approx. 20 times and then let it rest for about 10 min in the bowl. Then form into 10-12 equal balls of dough. Roll each ball into a bit of flour.


Place dough onto wax paper or well-floured surface. Roll each ball into a 6-7 inch in circle getting them as thin as possible.











Loosen tortilla from surface and flop into a dry hot skillet.








Cook about 30 seconds until the underside is dry and has a few brown spots. Repeat on the other side and then transfer to plate.











Not long later you've got a hot plate full of delicious, healthy tortillas. It truly doesn't take long at all, and it's pretty easy, even as a beginner!!

No comments: