Friday, April 25, 2008

We need a fence!

I mentioned, kind of off-handedly, in a previous post that we recently had to give our dog back to the lady who originally gave him to us. Cruiser was a nice, sweet, golden retriever, who, as golden retrievers are, was VERY friendly. What does this have to do with us giving him back you ask? Well, being the friendly boy that he was, all 100 lbs of him, when let out to go potty in our fenceless yard, would go wandering off looking for attention. When he was in the house, he was lazy enough to be regularly found laying, without the slightest hint of movement, near our front door. So, I, being the ever vigilant pet owner that I am, would often let him out to do his duty and subsequently forget about him. Assuming that he was manning his usual post near the door I would go on about my business, until someone (Quenton) or something (not tripping over him to get up the stairs) would remind me that I'd not let him back in in a rather long time.

Well, the woman who gave him to us was supposed to change his microchip so that when looked up it would register us as his owners and not her... obviously. Alas, I'm not convinced she ever did that. Why? Because each time he wandered off, if he didn't feel the need to come back later on his own and someone picked him up, they always seemed to come in contact with her long before me. Unfortunately after several times of this (again, vigilant pet owner that I am), she became worried that I was not watching him properly (I wonder why?) and said she would like to have him back. I reluctantly (to some extent) agreed. After all, I did feel horrible that he kept wandering off and that I kept allowing it to happen; not to mention the dislike I knew my husband harbored for him. It seems Geoffrey has no tolerance for an animal that will not stay around regardless of how many hours without monitoring. So, with very little thought, I agreed that it would be best that she take him back.

Upon hanging up the phone, what should enter my mind but my two, dearly loved, children. They, of course, did not share my or their Dad's (admittably, I had my share of irritated feelings toward said shedding, scaredy cat during thunderstorms, needy 100 lb dog) vague dislike of Cruiser. Quenton is the more vocal of the two, as well as more comprehending. He has gone through this before, unfortunately. I'm very thankful that he took the news graciously. I felt HORRIBLE telling him. I consoled him with the "bone" that we might be able to get another dog sometime "soon". Unfortunately, soon for a three year old typically means tomorrow. Surprisingly he hasn't really brought it up all that much though. I guess he's consoling himself with the cat. Dear Ari though, as mentioned in a previous post, is an out and out pet lover. I can just see it in her. If she's got an animal to love on, all is right in the world. I felt a huge pang when I thought of how she loved to sit with her little bottom between the dog's legs and just lean on him. He had the patience of Job. *Sigh* Oddly enough she hasn't "seemed" to notice the absence of one very large, amiable golden retriever. She's really not mentioned him since, and yes, she could say his name, surprisingly. A child's short term memory can be a blessing at times. She has however, on several occasions been looking out the window and pointed out with much enthusiasm the "dog, woof!?!" that was passing by. I believe I saw a physical look of pain pass over my husband's face the first time he heard that. Then when we went to our friend's farm and I watched her love on their dog, again, another stab of remorse.


So, we need a fence!

1 comment:

Corey Re' said...

I had to give my dog away some years back, it broke my heart.